SML Search

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Gregory Kirschenbaum - AspireToGreatness.com - 2007.10.23 / SML Fine Art

Yesterday I was having lunch in soho and I passed by an artist named Gregory Kirschenbaum (Google). He uses metal pigment (zinc, copper, iron, bronze) with an array of acid to bring out the natural oxidation on cotton canvas. I did an adhoc video interview with him because I thought that great art ought to be shared:

YouTube: Gregory Kirschenbaum - AspireToGreatness.com - 2007.10.23 / SML Channel




About Gregory Kirschenbaum
Gregory Kirschenbaum (born 1969-09-21) grew up in New York with arts around him. His dad, Daniel Kirschenbaum, is an architect who helped design many New York public projects, including the La Guardia Airport.

Many people from the advertising world often mistaken Gregory to be related to Kirschenbaum Bond & Partners (Google). GK is not related to KBP by blood, but it turns out that KBP is a patron of Gregory. In addition, Gregory has produced some copper on cotton shirts which have been collected by the fashion icon Valentino (Wikipedia).

Collaboration
Gregory is currently collaborating with Andrew Cotton (Google) and will be having an opening on Saturday, 2007-11-03 at the Ward-Nasse Gallery, the only non-profit art gallery in soho New York City. The opening is scheduled to last for an unprecedented nine hours: from 3pm to midnight.

Opening Reception
Upcoming: Gregory Kirschenbaum + Andrew Cotton / Collaboration show opening reception
2007-11-03, Saturday, 3pm to midnight
Ward Nasse Gallery
178 Prince Street, New York, NY 10012

View Larger Map

Very inspiring work. Needless to say, I look forward to the event. Highly recommended!


SML Copyright Notice


©2007 See-ming Lee 李思明 SML / SML Pro Blog / SML Universe. All rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. That's a great video - cool guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    Thanks for the compliments. He is a cool guy. It's fairly amazing the fantastic art work you find on the streets of New York.

    Even more amazing are the people and their philosophy behind their work.

    I would further like to thank Gregory for sharing his thoughts with me and hopefully inspire many generations of artists to show and talk about their work.

    Cheers,
    See-ming

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does he have a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gregory Kirschenbaum does not have a blog but I will persuade him to blog today.

    He thinks that blogs often look terrible but I will attempt my best to explain to him that with CSS it can look anyway he wants to :)

    Cheers,
    See-ming

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gregory Kirshenbaum is a fraud. his work is a poor facsimile for the work of Tracy Silva Barbosa, who has been selling her paintings in Soho for five years. Greg only started his painting career after witnessing her succeed over the years. I remember explaining to him how to use patina less than two years ago. If I'd known he was the bloodsucking type, I would have kept it to myself. Then he hooked up with Andrew Cotton, who has admitted directly to Tracy and myself to "lifting" elements of her work. So now they've teamed up and rented a gallery to hawk their bootlegs, these quick little one screen pulls on a schlocky rusted back round for half the price of one of Tracy's paintings. Good Luck Schmuck! : ) check out Tracy Barbosa's site at www.tsilvabarbosa.com She's worked hard and deserves the recognition. At the very least a nod from greg and andrew as a primary influence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nanospores,

    Thank you very much for the lead. I just checked out Tracy Barbosa's site and looked at her paintings and her work is truly fantastic!

    I would love to learn more about this. No doubt I would definitely try to find my way to visit Tracy.

    As a responsible journalist, I would also very much like to speak with you about your rage.

    You may reach me at seeminglee+art@gmail.com

    Cheers,
    See-ming

    ReplyDelete
  7. nanospores,

    Thank you very much for the lead. I just checked out Tracy Barbosa's site and looked at her paintings and her work is truly fantastic!

    I would love to learn more about this. No doubt I would definitely try to find my way to visit Tracy.

    As a responsible journalist, I would also very much like to speak with you about your rage.

    You may reach me at seeminglee+art@gmail.com

    Cheers,
    See-ming

    ReplyDelete