SML Search

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Google = How I get to know my family

About half a year ago, I started having lunch with a different person at work everyday. The conversation is always interesting. And it is from these conversations that I realize just how diverse people really are—their interests span across multiple disciplines—which is not immediately readily apparent just by looking at their resumes on LinkedIn.

Another thing that I took note, however, is how well people know about their family. All of them are able to tell me exactly what their parents and siblings do for a living. I envy them, because I could not.

When I was growing up, about the only thing that I know about what my dad does professionally is that he teaches marketing at a university, but that's about it.

The other things that I know about my dad come from daily observance:

  • We subscribe to ten newspapers which he skims through every morning.
  • He also asks me to use the microwave stuff for him because he is immensely afraid of the microwave, after witnessing the scary details of the first-generation microwaves in America in the 70s when he was studying for his PhD.
  • I also know that my dad likes books, because aside from having a books-filled study *and* library, the bookshelves creep all the way out to the dining room and continued to fill out every single wall where a bookshelf can be installed.

My knowledge of my family expanded significantly, however, when Google started indexing data:

After getting much satisfaction from Googling my dad, I moved onto my sister:
  • Because of Google, I noted that she has she is not as searchable as my dad
  • Because of Google, I noted that the second search results that comes up (like many of my friends' SERP) is on the SML Universe property.
  • Because of Google, I noted that she was the first person in my family to make it onto the Google Patents Search
  • Because of Google, I also noted that one of my medical illustration was published on Nature but my sister has apparently neglected to give me credits, thus ruining the main reason why I decided to help her out at the first place: getting my name published on a respected scientific journal.

Since day one of my SML Family Google Research, the number of search results generated has always been on the order of 1. my dad, 2. my sister, 3. me and my mom, no where to be found. I also noted that no matter what I do, I only get double-digit results.

That all changed this year. Finally, I have done something that made SML Family history. Starting in 2007, the SML Family Google ranking will have been officially repositioned to 1. Me, 2. Dad, 3. Sister. Eat that!

This is of historical importance to me, since I have never been able to beat my sister in any other field other than piano, which no one cares about anyway. With the growth in the amount of data, search engines will continue to have significance in our everyday life, and as such, I am content.

Vanity aside and most important of all, is that because of Google, I can now talk about my family as though I really know them.

For a brief moment, I felt the peace of not having to stand out too much from the crowd.


SML Copyright Notice


©2007 See-ming Lee 李思明 SML / SML Pro Blog / SML Universe. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great companion piece to "Moms" (family) September 3,2007,where I was touched reading about how your mom used her creative powers to nurture your gift.
    I am curious whether 'about the only thing that I know about what my dad does professionally is that he teaches marketing at a university',means that he was somehow absent from your life.If he was it doesn't seem to have hindered the development of your genius.In fact it may have provided fertile ground for it to flourish. (Don't ask me to explain how!)
    Anyway,well done! I just Googled you and got 1,160,000 results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was not absent.

    Interestingly, it's not a natural topic in our family to talk about the family.

    We spent most of our time debating useless random things.

    I am, as such, getting good at negotiation. Maybe that's the whole point of these debates -- coz my dad is trying to teaech me without teaching me?

    Who knows.

    Btw,

    Don't just Google me without using quotes. That's not accurate. To get the accurate result count, go to GoogleSML.com

    There is a reason why I set up a domain name of these kinds of searches--to get accurate results: not data hindered by the default OR operator.

    /SML

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad was not absent.

    Interestingly, it's not a natural topic in our family to talk about the family.

    We spent most of our time debating useless random things.

    I am, as such, getting good at negotiation. Maybe that's the whole point of these debates -- coz my dad is trying to teaech me without teaching me?

    Who knows.

    Btw,

    Don't just Google me without using quotes. That's not accurate. To get the accurate result count, go to GoogleSML.com

    There is a reason why I set up a domain name of these kinds of searches--to get accurate results: not data hindered by the default OR operator.

    /SML

    ReplyDelete