SML Search

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

TinyMap.net = Google Maps + TinyURL

I was doing some research on maps mashups recently and I found this little gem called TinyMap.net which can best be described as a marriage of the awesome tools utilized in Google Maps: My Maps and the ingenious everyday Web tool Tiny URL which transforms long URLs into short byte chunks.

SML Flickr: tinymap.net

tinymap.net, originally uploaded by See-ming Lee 李思明 SML.


As according to the official step-by-step tutorial, Tinymap.net allows the user to create maps, trace way-points, mark out points of interests with graphic icons and add notes on the Google map.

Content creation is surprising easy, and I created my custom map in record time, much quicker than using Google's native UI.

One thing I really like about the Tinymap is the ability to create password-protected maps, which allows you to share your map with others without sharing with everyone on the Web. Unless I have mistaken, The My Maps feature on Google Maps can only create private maps that are viewable by one person.

When you save your map, the site returns a short URL for you to send to your friends:

http://www.tinymap.net/xYiAKgNj5Q4/

Highly useful. Highly recommended!

Related SML
SML Del.icio.us: Google.Maps
SML Del.icio.us: Google.Maps + Mashup
SML Del.icio.us: Mashup
SML Flickr: Google Maps Mashsups
SML Wiki: Maps



SML Copyright Notice


©2007 See-ming Lee 李思明 SML / SML Pro Blog / SML Universe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment