SML Search

Monday, January 14, 2008

You can do it if you want to

When I first got into Yale, I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I studied pure science classes in high school and I was very good at it. I took science classes because the tests have absolute answers: if you put in the right answers, you get an A.

The problem with studying science in college is that I know that I can never be better than my sister. My sister is a genius. While I dominated the awards at high school, she swept them. Since she also went to Yale and was studying Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, I decided that I had to study something else.

Originally I picked architecture, because it appeared to combine art and science, which is the synergetic focus that I have always been interested in. Before the class of 1999, all architecture students were required to take Basic Drawing from the School of Art. They dropped that requirement for my year, but I thought that it must be a good thing so I took it.

I had zero art education before I went to Yale, so when I was faced with charcoal and paper, I was fairly scared. Most students attending the class had extensive art education, and have impeccable skills. I didn't really know what to do with my materials. When questioned, my professor just told me to draw what you see.

I had never touched a charcoal in my life, and I spent my whole semester trying. Looking back, it appears that I am most satisfied with work that I really put my heart to. I don't think that I can draw still. But it appears that if spend enough time on anything, I can do it.

Here are some of my favorites from the old days:

Yale School of Drama

Yale School of Drama / 1997 / SML (by See-ming Lee 李思明 SML)

Yale School of Drama / 1997 / SML (by See-ming Lee 李思明 SML)

Yale School of Drama / 1997 / SML (by See-ming Lee 李思明 SML)

Yale School of Drama / 1997 / SML (by See-ming Lee 李思明 SML)

Still Life

Still Life / 1996 / SML (by See-ming Lee 李思明 SML)

Still Life / 1996 / SML (by See-ming Lee 李思明 SML)

Remember, you can do it if you want to.

©2008 See-ming Lee 李思明 SML / SML Pro Blog / SML Universe. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. These are awesome, even more so considering you hadn't official "drawn" before then. Also good that you learned it's never too late to become great.

    ReplyDelete