SML Search

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

UI Junk must die

This is a quick post because Twitter has now become my number 1 English killer: my sentences are malformed and I can no longer write beautiful proses that Mr Herz can manifest.

That said, I am becoming increasingly annoyed by what it appears to be the end of an era of transparent UIs: there is not just an explosion of sites in "beta" but also sites filled with rounded corners and gradient-ware that I believe is stealing the audience from the content and function that a webapp is trying to do.

While Tufte held his flag against the chart junk that's obscuring the presentation of chart data, I proclaim the that UI junk must die: they are adding more visual stuff to adjust which adds no value to your app.

An interface, like well-set typography, should be transparent: that is, that the user should not be made aware that its existence. As soon as you attract users to look at how beautiful your tabs and buttons are, your content is nowhere to be focused. Surely your content is more important?

©2008 See-ming Lee 李思明 SML / SML Pro Blog / SML Universe. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. There's nothing so sad as watching the fire die from a designer's eyes when you tell him to remove all the gradients. It's like telling the emperor's tailor that the clothes he's made are no longer needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words.

    I appreciate you saying you enjoy my eloquent prose.

    Hope all is well

    Herz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind words.

    I appreciate you saying you enjoy my eloquent prose.

    Hope all is well

    Herz

    ReplyDelete