SML Search

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

PicLens = Image browsing made easy

I don't know how I managed to not know anything about PicLens until today.

PicLens is a browser plug-in which transforms image streams into a full-screen browsing experience. I installed the Firefox extension this morning and I'm in image surfing heaven moments after.

Here's a quick demo on YouTube before my review:



I have been on Flickr for a while now and have accumulated a lot of contacts over time. All of my non-friend contacts on Flickr are folks that I have made a decisive choice to maintain contact because I respect their photographic creation. 1000+ sounds like a lot, but when you consider that more than 24 million people are active on Flickr everyday, a thousand is actually quite a small amount.

While my intention is to be amazed by my colleagues' work, the paging mechanism + thumbnail clicking has also become rather annoying overtime. I tried using the Slideshow module to go through my contacts' photos, but the 200 count limit imposed by Flickr still create some problem.

PicLens does not impose image count limit to any browsing. The browsing model is also so fluid, transparent and intuitive that require zero learning-curve.

With this tool, I did something I have never done on Flickr today:
1. I browsed through every single image posted to my contacts' recent photos.
2. I browsed through the entire photostream from a contact I recently added.

There is no way I could have tolerated this process if I were to do this in Flickr's native interface. It has also replaces the need for flickrleech now, which I must say have served me quite well before PicLens.

But PicLens does not only do Flickr, it also does Facebook, YouTube, Google Image Search, Yahoo Image Search, and the list goes on... I tested it on Google Image Search and had the first tolerable experience on Google Image Search today.

This tool is indispensible. Highly recommended!

Related SML Universe
+ SML Del.icio.us: Flickr + Tools
+ SML Tools
+ SML Wiki: PicLens

Source: via IconSpam

©2008 See-ming Lee 李思明 SML / SML Pro Blog / SML Universe

3 comments:

  1. I do know how you managed to not know anything about PicLens: you didn't pay attention to a comment on a photo of yours:
    www.flickr.com/photos/seeminglee/2240815939/

    (it was more then two months ago! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gantico,

    reposting from Flickr thread:

    Oy... I am *so* sorry! A few possibilities:

    1. I was very busy at the time and did not keep track of my comments activities adequately (this is most likely as I almost always reply to comments)

    2. I saw the demo and dissed it quickly as yet another 3d-browsing hype. This is quite possible as I was reviewing some 3d browser plugin (I forgot the name) and it was totally useless... and the only reason I would make this judgement call so quickly would also be because I was too busy at the time :)

    Trust that I will be paying a lot more attention from now on :)

    Cheers,
    See-ming

    ReplyDelete
  3. gantico,

    reposting from Flickr thread:

    Oy... I am *so* sorry! A few possibilities:

    1. I was very busy at the time and did not keep track of my comments activities adequately (this is most likely as I almost always reply to comments)

    2. I saw the demo and dissed it quickly as yet another 3d-browsing hype. This is quite possible as I was reviewing some 3d browser plugin (I forgot the name) and it was totally useless... and the only reason I would make this judgement call so quickly would also be because I was too busy at the time :)

    Trust that I will be paying a lot more attention from now on :)

    Cheers,
    See-ming

    ReplyDelete