SML Search

Monday, February 25, 2008

The sweetness of fast lens

My Canon 50mm f/1.4 arrived in the mail today. I just tried it on and it's really sweet, as in *really* fast. To understand just how fast it is, when I put it wide open, I am able to shoot at 1/750 seconds inside the office, which is unbelievable.

It took me a very long time to decide on getting this lens. A fellow photographer said the lens is boring. Well it's boring when you have lots of light, but when you have no light, I think that this lens is awesome.

I decided against the the f/1.8 after seeing the rather inferior bokeh from the Flickr Canon EF 50mm f1.8 Pool. It appears that the pentagon-shaped bokeh a result of the lens using a 5-blade shutter. I am also a little bit bothered by the number unfavorable reviews of 1.8's construction.

I did not go for the f/1.2L because I can't afford it. It is an absurd amount of money to set aside for a hobby--although I will be revisiting this later if I get a portrait photography business going.

I will be posting photographs on my photo blog soon. Stay tuned.

©2008 See-ming Lee 李思明 SML / SML Pro Blog / SML Universe. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment